Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Autumn is here....



"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting
and autumn a mosaic of them all."

Anyone for some Mulled Cider.


I came across this recipe and thought I`d share. I think I will whip up a batch over the weekend. Wish me luck as this is a new adventure and I think I will need it, well or maybe the ones drinking it will....LOL

What You Need:
fresh cider
whole cloves
cinnamon sticks
whole allspice
cheesecloth
large stock pot
brown sugar
ladle
mugs
Pour one gallon of fresh cider into a large pot on the stove or into a crockpot or slow cooker.
Add a half cup of brown sugar.
Place 1 teaspoon of whole cloves, 1 teaspoon of whole allspice, and 3 cinnamon sticks on a square of cheesecloth and tie up. Add to the pot.
Heat the cider to a boil, stirring regularly. Leave the pot uncovered so that you and your family or guests can enjoy the warm, delicious aroma.
Once the cider boils, lower the setting to simmer for at least another 15 minutes to allow for thorough infusion of the spices. Stir occasionally.
Remove the spices from the pot and ladle hot mulled cider into mugs or other glasses designed for hot beverages.
Tips:
If you don't have cheesecloth on had, use a tea ball or a coffee filter to hold the spices.
Add a splash of rum or brandy to really warm up a chilly day.
For a decorative touch, you can stud an apple with cloves and allow that to float in your cider pot instead of adding cloves to your spice bag.

2 comments:

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

Kelly,

Oh, that sounds so good ! with a fire out back , and family and friends... waa-laa !
I make mulled cider in my crock pot for the Thanksgiving gatherings, and then it stays warm all day. It's always a hit !
Happy Autumn Days !
Hugs,
Linda

Kelly~MysticalEntities said...

Hi Linda~

Yes I will have to light the fire pit for these ;)
I think I will be sure to add it to mine this year too along with your pumpkin recipe ;)
Hugs
Kelly