Sunday, March 14, 2010

A New Way of Eating....

Hubby and I have decided it`s time to start eating healthy. Not just for weight purposes (although I`d like to drop about 10 pounds, but for overall health. Ya see I`m a big cheese freak so for me that will be the biggest challenge. I`ve decided to go to reduced fat cheeses, mayo`s and sour creams and eventually fat free. We`ve been eating alot of salads and for lunch I only allow myself a lean cuisine sandwich meal. I`m not quite sure how good those really are for you, but we shall see. I highly recommend the chicken philly....YUM :)

I`ve always been good about having veggies with dinners and such so my kids will eat just about any kind except beans. I also want to start weaning out the white potatoes and switch to sweet potatoes. That I know will be tough and the kids.....well not sure how crazy they`ll be with that, but it`s better for them in the long run.

So I thought if we`re going to try and do healthy I`d start with the dogs too :) Especially for Bella being she suffers from dermatitis. So today I ran to home goods bought me some dog cookie cutters and hit the grocery store with recipe for homemade biscuits in hand. Ok today was the first batch I made and they seemed to have liked it. The recipe was real simple. I think for the next one I`ll try one with more ingredients. The dogs gave me two paws up.












Geez if I could just get them to cooperate for a picture.

Heres the recipe for anyone who would like to try these. I found them on recipezaar.com

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oat
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 egg, beaten
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
2 jars strained baby food (, any flavor, all natural and no preservatives)
Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
2 In a large bowl combine all ingredients together and make a thick dough.
3 Knead on a slightly floured countertop for about 4 minutes until the dough is nice and smooth.
4 Sprinkle a little more flour over the dough to make rolling easy.
5 Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
6 Use cookie cutters or a small drinking glass.
7 Bake on a ungreased cookie sheet for about 22 minute.
8 Let doggie biscuits cool for at least 1/2 hr before serving.
9 To keep fresh, package these in sealed containers.
10 Try different flavors of baby food.
11 Yield- depending on size.

No comments: